Monday, October 17, 2016

Does IT Breathe?

Posted on


Tap….tap….tap….a soft but audible enough noise to wake me from my sleep and the colorful dreams my 14 year old mind was gracefully placed upon my ears.  Did I really hear anything that mattered much?  Was it only a settling of the beams above me or a tree whose branches were being pushed by the breeze? I wondered... NO that was not the case – my mind answered, with definite strength.  Whatever was making this gentle sound was caused by something that breathed, and that living air just might be seen upon the window glass behind the curtain.  Eerie thought I was having, as I curled my fist tighter up under my chin while gripping the covers.  Again…tap….tap….tap….and this time I directed my attention without moving a muscle in the softly lit but almost pitch dark room, towards my GREAT BIG BAY WINDOW that was next to me, and I happened to be facing.  Suddenly the importance created a pressure in my head and a bouncing in my heart that I could hear deep within my ears.  Was I hearing the beat of my own requiem approaching?  FEAR was growing like a quick piercing switchblade through my soul.  I couldn’t move.  I could barely take in enough air to keep me coherent.  What could this be tapping on my window, so softly and longingly?  I almost felt the need; ITS need.  The taps continued as I stayed stiff…BUT…my curious nature was calling to my limbs to soften.  GET UP…have a look….you know you want to.  It is excitement….FEAR…is excitement.  Don’t get them confused.  Get involved DO SOMETHING.  Breath deep and move towards the window.  Pull the curtains aside.  Maybe it’s a depiction of something you have been watching in fiction with fascination all of your life.  So I did just that, I took a deep breath….the tapping still, although unstable, continued as I seemingly glided towards the window, guided only by twisted curiosity.  I slowly started to pull the curtain aside as I stood in my frightgown directly in front of the tortuous soft but insistent drumming.  As I drew the material away from the window, I gazed into my own refection which was caused from the dim hall light seeping through my slightly cracked door.  The tapping continued….I saw nothing….I could not see anything on the other side.  The reflective film on my window prevented me from seeing all but my own pale face.  The tapping continued, only changed now….it was a bit louder.  IT did BREATH….IT could see me but I could not see IT.  I took a step forward closer into the bay window…still only me was what I could see.

I was IT…for now.
 

1 comment:

  1. BungleGrind
    holy crap sweet pea! that was awesome! so brilliantly written and captivating that i couldn’t take my eyes from it until i was done and as soon as i was i wanted to read that again.just wonderFULL.i felt sad upon hitting the like button because i was left wishing there was a lick button.
    August 07, 2011
    reply
    1.
    ChimesofLife48
    Thank you so much babe! Captivating…I like that! This was really fun to write because of the experience I actually had…it was a trip reliving and describing the emotions I was feeling. I love writing things that are based on true events. Like we talked about, there was more to this and the ending was not very exciting except for my dad being so pissed at me the next morning for not waking him up. And hell yeah a lick button would be awesome!
    August 08, 2011

    ReplyDelete